We’re delighted to announce that our Graphic Designer, Leigh, has been revealed as the winner of the Liverpool City’s Region competition to design a logo for the Borough of Culture 2019.
Not only will Leigh win the £800 prize, but will see her logo used across the Wirral as the peninsular embarks on a year of cultural events throughout the year.
The purpose of the Borough of Culture award was to stimulate new cultural and creative opportunities; highlighting the unique character and distinctiveness of its people and places, and developing the skills and talents of its residents in order to create an exciting year of cultural events and activity that everyone can enjoy and take part in.
Each host borough created its own programme of cultural and creative events, activities and opportunities, but all will include five key elements:
- Children and Young People – accessing, enjoying, learning through culture and creative engagement, developing skills and talents.
- Positive outcomes – wellbeing, health, education, cohesion and future world of work.
- Communities – increased opportunities for participation and involvement
- Distinctiveness of place – promoting the creative and culture offer to local people and visitors
- Infrastructure and Legacy – building future cultural and creative opportunities beyond the Borough of Culture year.
The Borough of Culture initiative is designed to utilise many of the region’s existing assets and talent to stimulate cultural and creative opportunities, both formal and informal, wherever they can be found.
I can’t wait to see it splashed across Wirral for the next year and to see how it will be used by each borough throughout their host year.
The Borough of Culture competition was judged by chair of the Liverpool City Region Cultural Partnership, Prof Phil Redmond, Liverpool Echo executive editor, Alastair Machray, director of Liverpool School of Art & Design, Prof Caroline Wilkinson, & Wirral-based sculptor Emma Rodgers.
Revolution Four founders Nik & Justine are thrilled with the announcement. Nik said:
This is an important year for the Wirral, so it’s great to see Leigh’s design winning.
Leigh has a great talent and the team are all really proud of her.